The Best Way to Install WordPress Locally
In this video tutorial I will show you the best way to Install WordPress Locally. The installation of a local server can also be done using XAMPP. Here is a tutorial on how to install XAMPP and here is a tutorial on how to copy a live WordPress site to a local host using Duplicator . These methods are very good, but if you are looking for the fastest and easiest way to install WordPress locally, then give DesktopServer a try. The plugin is by ServerPress and is quickly becoming one of my favorite plugins. Let’s get started!
- Go to the ServerPress.com website.
- You will be given two options for downloading. There is a premium version and a free version.
- Select the premium version if you require all the bells and whistles. For my tutorial, I used the free version.
- Once you have selected the version that you want, you will be prompted to fill in some personal information.
- Once you have completed the form, an account will be created for you.
- From your newly created account, select the version of DesktopServer that you would like.
- Your download will begin. Make note of where the file was downloaded to.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- The unzipped file will contain a folder labelled “dsl-win-v382”. This is for Windows. The MAC name is a little different..
- Inside this folder is a file called “Install DSL v382.exe”. Click on this file.
- A window will pop up. Click continue on this window. You will receive a security prompt. Click on yes.
- You will now see a terms and conditions window. Click on the accept button.
- Another window will popup. Click on the continue button.
- The installation will now begin.
- Click on the finish button once installation is complete.
- Click on “My Computer”
- Go to you C: drive and locate a folder labelled XAMPPLITE.
- Inside this folder is a file called desktopserver.exe. Click on this file.
- You will receive a new window with a prompt. Just click the Next button.
- Follow the remainder of the prompts. (mostly click on next and ok) See the video tutorial if you want every step detailed. If you have ever installed a program, you should be okay.
- That’s all there is to it. You can now easily create a local WordPress site.
“DISCLOSURE: I may be an affiliate for products that I recommend. If you purchase those items through my links I will earn a commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link. In fact, I oftentimes am able to negotiate a lower rate (or bonuses) not available elsewhere. Plus, when you order through my link, it helps me to continue to offer you lots of free stuff. 🙂 Thank you, in advance for your support”