If you are a web developer, it is very handy to know how to use FileZilla FTP Client
FileZilla will enable you to rapidly transfer files directly to your server.
In today’s tutorial I’m going to show you how to download, install and configure FileZilla.
Go to your web browser and search for filezilla. Click on the first search result. Click on Download FileZilla client. This will take you to a screen where you can
select the version that you want to download. I will select the Windows 64bit version. Save the file to your desktop or somewhere that will be easy to locate.
Locate your saved file and double click on it to start the installation of FileZilla. You will be presented with your standard terms and conditions. Read it if you want and then click on agree.
You may be presented with an optional offer for some product, I usually do not accept it. Click next. You will then be presented a few more options. I don’t think
I need to go over everything in detail. Just follow the prompts until FileZilla is installed.
Once FileZilla is installed, click on File and then select Site Manager.
- Then go ahead and click on the New Site button and enter a name for your site. It can be anything you like.
- In the General tab, next to the Host field, go ahead and enter your domain name or server IP address.
- In the Port field enter the port suggested by your host. You can get this information from them.
- In the protocol field select the protocol you want to use. I will be using FTP so I will select FTP-File Transfer Protocol
- For encryption I will use plain-FTP
- For the logon type, I will use Normal
- Now you can go ahead and enter your cpanel username and password.
- Next, go ahead and click on the Transfer Settings tab.
- Put a check mark in the Limit number of simultaneous connections and set the limit to 8
- Click the connect button and you should now be connected to your server and ready to transfer files.
Now that your have FileZilla installed, lets go over how to use it.
FileZilla can look intimidating and complex at first, but it is actually very easy to use.
The left two sections show files that are on your desktop and the right two sections show the files on your web host service.
If we click on a file on the top left section, we can see that the panel directly below it shows the content of the directory that we clicked on.
The same is true if we click on a file on the top right section, we can see that the panel directly below it shows the content of the directory that we clicked on.
So transferring a file from your computer to your server is as simple as locating the file that you want to transfer on the left side of FileZilla and dragging that file to the directory of your choice on the right side of FileZilla.
That’s all there is to it. FileZilla should now be up and running.